The gamer's guide to Stockholm
Publish date: 20 May 2022
Avid gamer? Press start and check out Stockholm's gaming side.
Stockholm is Sweden's tech hub and by extension the center of the Swedish game industry. Some of Sweden's biggest developers and publishers have their headquarters in town, like DICE, Mojang, King, and Avalanche. One could argue that games like Battlefield, Candy Crush, and Minecraft were born or at least partly developed here. And there are many more game studios around, big and small. Who knows, maybe the next indie game sensation is being designed in a small Farsta apartment right now?
The Swedish game phenomenon
The Swedish game scene has a wide array of developers, from small independent studios to affiliates and partner studios to some of the industry's biggest players, with many of them based in Stockholm. Here's a small selection of developers and publishers based in Stockholm:
- Avalanche: The Just Cause series, Rage 2, Mad Max
- Axolot Games: Scrap Mechanic
- DICE: The Battlefield series, the Mirror's Edge series, Star Wars Battlefront
- Fatshark: The Warhammer –Vermintide series, Bionic Commando: Rearmed 2, Krater
- King: Candy Crush
- Mojang: Minecraft
- Paradox Interactive: The Crusader Kings series, the Europa Universalis series, the Cities: Skylines series
- Raw Fury: Dandara, Backbone, Townscaper
- Starbreeze: The Payday series, The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay, The Darkness
Anyone with an interest in video and computer games has a few exciting activities to pick and chose from, in other words. Spend an afternoon with virtual adventures at VREX or Stockholm VR Center; learn more about game development and its place in society at the Play Beyond Play exhibition; enjoy a night out with gaming at Hey STHLM, Inferno Online, Red Bull Gaming Sphere, Kappa Bar, and N3rds.
Want to find more gaming-related events and things to do? Maybe a game night, hackathon, or retro game evening? Visit Let's Play STHLM to see how and when you can nerd out.