To main content

Visit Stockholm uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website.

Two people walk over a bridge in Djurgården, a large parkland area in Stockholm

Photo: Tove Freij

Categories: Your life in Stockholm


Publish date: 22 March 2021

All homes in Sweden should be covered by homeowner’s insurance, which might sound pricey but is actually quite affordable and cheaper than in many other countries. Additionally, social insurance is an important part of the Swedish social security system as it provides financial protection for families and children.

Homeowner's insurance

We recommend that all occupants take out homeowner’s insurance connected to their house or apartment. Homeowner’s insurance in Sweden is very comprehensive and consists of a number of different insurances covering loss or damage to your private property, personal injuries, and liability for damages or injuries caused to others, among other things. There are several insurance companies in Sweden and it’s a good idea to contact them to compare prices.

Swedish insurance companies

Good to know

Foreign passports are normally not valid as an ID card in Sweden. Bring your passport, as well as a certificate or letter of acceptance/employment from your employer, the document from the tax agency that confirms your social security number (personbevis) and your tenancy agreement to confirm your address in Sweden.

Social Insurance 

Social insurance is an important part of the Swedish social security system and covers everyone who lives or works in Sweden. It provides financial protection for families and children, e.g. for anyone with a disability, illness, work injury, or old age.

To qualify for social insurance benefits, you must (as a general rule) either formally reside in Sweden or be employed and work here. Examples of benefits are child allowance (barnbidrag) and housing allowance (bostadsbidrag). Social insurance is financed by Swedish income taxes.

The Swedish Social Insurance Agency

The most important thing to do after your arrival (if you have a permit valid for longer than 12 months) is to visit the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket) to get a Swedish Personal Identity Number. This number is used for identification in many everyday situations so it's a good idea to learn it by heart.

You should also register with the Swedish Social Insurance Agency (Försäkringskassan). EU-citizens can register if their stay is shorter than a year if their previous country of residence is a member of the EU.

If you’re on a scholarship and don’t pay tax in Sweden, you can’t get full insurance from the Swedish Social Insurance Agency.

More information on the Swedish Social Insurance Agency website.

Employment-based benefits

If you work and pay your taxes in Sweden, you are covered by employment-based benefits, which include sickness benefit (sjukpenning) and rehabilitation allowance (rehabiliteringsersättning). This only applies if you stay in Sweden for longer than one year.

Good to know

Non-EU citizens can only register if they stay for more than 365 days. EU citizens can register for a stay shorter than one year if their previous country of residence is a member of the EU.

If you’re an EU citizen it's a good idea to bring your Health Insurance Card in case you stay for less than 12 months. If you don't have a European Health Insurance Card, find out what to do by visiting the EU-site Your Europe.

A practical guide to smooth your move to Stockholm